Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Franzen-bore

Guess I should say something about the brou-ha-ha over Jonathon Franzen's latest novel, Freedom.  I must admit that The Corrections, which was published seemingly forever ago, was one book I could not finish.  I mean, I didn't even get far into it.  I just knew it wasn't for me.  I was exceedingly bored with the whole thing and no matter how I hard I tried, I could not keep reading it.  On second thought, I probably didn't try that hard.  There were so many other books beckoning that it didn't seem important at the time to keep reading.  When any book is hailed as the second coming, my defenses are immediately up, as is the case with Franzen's latest novel, Freedom.  After striking out with The Corrections, I just don't think I care about Freedom, no matter what the NY Times says.  And no one can make me read it!  Ha ha.  Good thing I'm not in a book club, although with Franzen's seeming egocentric-ness, I am sure he would rather his book not be elevated to any #1 book club pick (ahem, Oprah).  Maybe, when all the madness fades away, I'll try to read it, but not a minute sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment